View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
On The Spot Interview with GreyDrake AKA John Drake 
Site Admin

Post On The Spot Interview with GreyDrake AKA John Drake
Hi John, Its MOA here, we have just a few questions to dig a little deeper into your rather unique psyche, welcome to our "On the spot Interview" feature.

Just a few questions if you dont mind.

Q – What is Your Name?

A – John

Q – Where are you From?

A – Preston

Q – How old Are You?

A - 27

Q – How long Have you been into airsoft?

A - 8 years (if not a tad longer), but my first time at MOA was 7 years ago (yep big time veteran here!)
and here is the team photo from that day!

Q – What is your weapon of choice?

A -ooh it depends on the day!
I love my GBB's a HK416, an M14 a Scar an MP7 and an FPG all very very fun! and they really change your game since you dont have 400 rounds at a moments notice it teaches you to pick your shots and ups your accuracy somewhat. after a year or so on the AEG's give one a go it will change your game!

Q – How did you get into Airsoft?

A - a mate said "hey check this out" I went to a shoot with him took out a team then a bunker that was that haha

Q – How often do you Airsoft?

A - not as often as I would like as I've been working tonnes of weekends saving up for a wedding.. my wedding in June! this year im going to be back to once per month

Q - You have a rather nice collection of rifles and pistols - what would you say has been your best airsoft purchase, and why?

A -ooh a very good question.
and here they are! (well some of them haha)

obviously I have some stand out nice guns.
The Barrett a fantastic looking rifle, guaranteed if i bring it along youl want a photo with it haha its highly upgraded and weighs as much a a neutron star buut its not my best purchase.
I have the BAR not a rifle you see every day. but quite honestly a nasty gun that was rough and useless until Chaz got it sorted .
The M60 VN wow just wow but it needed Fettling to get it right
The M41a Pulse Rifle a must for any Sci-Fi fan its is spectacular to look at and a pretty decent gun on top of all that built around a thompson..but not the best one
If you look at everything that makes a good gun
Accuracy
reliability
Ease of use
Price
Accessories available
Weight!
There is one that stands above all the others.
The winner i would have to say is the CYMA - AKS-74U
This little gun has been with me for years.
its cheap to buy, very solidly built (having only had a little hiccup on the last weekender after many years of abuse which was soon repaired!) its a gun that shoots incredibly accurately and chances are if you've been on site and I've had it with me its shot you!
I cant sing its praises enough.
Supremely accurate
Impecibly reliable
Ak Simplicity!
Cheap to buy
Lots of AK bolt ons available
all the lightness and compactness of a carbine

The Cyma Thompson M1a1 that i own is basically the same gun in a different body if you see either BUY one!! you wont regret it!

Q - You have been on quite a few MOA away days, whats the best and worst things about a weekend away with the lads?

A -ooh have i been away. our first MOA away day was ground Zero waaay back in 2009 6 years ago. i drove 7 hours in a classic mini and wow what a weekend. there have been many weekends away since we returned to ground zero 2 more times and have been up to POW in scotland twice. Every time the highlight is our wonderful drunken evenings.
Ah so many highlights over the years
locking bug in the van at GZ
Andy Cassie running at full speed towards the floor
Chaz's potato canon!
Ben being unable to sit upright on a chair
the wide varied abuse of connor! [ADMIN EDIT] **** in a totally non bullying jokey way.!!! :)
burning blackpool
Ben (sorry to do you twice) with his feet sticking out of his tent at ground zero
dance of the flaming arseholes
to name but a few memorable events
steer clear of hot rocks and definitely don't just place your bollocks on them!

it does bring me on to the worst thing about going away.
The gameplay at NAE or ground zero as its known is laughable.(although the gameplay in Scotland was fantastic)
1500 players its impossible to police but when you have shot your 20th person who just turns and shoots back at you it gets a little tiresome. but as with all away days with MOA we always end up having a good time.
as our video shows!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-p6QsgFl2o

The thing is the main Group at MOA is constantly changing and evolving I've seen old faces disappear and new ones take their place but the stand out thing about the members of moa is they are always a great bunch of people I trust a lot and always know I can have a good laugh with. Ive known the old hands a long time now. I wouldn't have stuck around if they were no good.

Q - What is the most painfull hit you have taken in any airsoft game?

A -ooh lets rewind again 2009 and the most challenging shoot ever conceived at MOA the night shoot. its precisely what it sounds like. we started around 5 and finished around 7 the next day no sleep no breaks it was extremely hard work. it was added with the fact we didn't have a break and carried out all of our gear. having done a few very hard survival shoots similar to this (carrying in gear water etc) some over days I can say this was probably the most difficult. anyway im rambling!
back in the day we had a killing house at the bottom of the site. the numerically superior enemy had it. we wanted it. so a team crept around from the right a team crept round fro, the left. me and good old Sgt Wilko though we went through the middle! because f*ck it! it was dark so when our less than subtle approach through the middle was noticed we got lit up. and at close range (no one knew it was pitch black!) one hit me in the nostril and yep it went up there was blood it needed snorting out. but once I was 30 second medic done I was back in me and wigsy were through the window and the killing house was ours!
pic from that event

Q - What is the one moment (airsoft related) that made you laugh so hard you maybe wee'd just a little bit?
A -oh there have been a lot but one stands out. years and years back with the safe zone back at bunker one. a young keen Andy Davidson was pocketing his grenades whilst I was chatting to him and to this day I have no idea how he did it but he lit one! as it went in to his pocket. a boom later (everyone was uninjured including thankfully andy)
Wiggsy shouts "anyone hurt?"
Everyone "no"
Wiggsy "anyone gonna sue?"
Everyone "Yep"

Q – If you could change anything @ MOA what would it be?
A - I would install a giant centrally heated toilet and shower block so posh it would have a butler handing out towels, with a separate building for jays nuclear boil in the bag curry leavings!

Q – How do you find the forum?
A -love it but we need more chatter! get commenting talking and typing folks!

Q – What has been your best shoot @ MOA & Why?
A – wow literally to many to comment on, ill talk about a recent one.
the MOA Weekender 2013
a Vietnam era style shoot with quite frankly far to much alcohol involved haha.
I ran my ww2 kit (yes a little out dated) but ran the M60VN!! and it became the scourge of the VC.
there were a few stand out moments with it but one that will always stick with me. VC call in a mortar strike on the base so I am evacuated with the m60. mortar strike takes out the base team. I re enter and take up position at the rear of the base.
all the vc team charges in through the entrance. well fish in a barrel would have probably been harder to hit. it didn't come off to well for the guys haha they were all out in the open before I started firing which only made it worse! that whole weekend was incredible and as always the drinking was on top form. although I burnt my chair and didn't remember until 10 months later when me and Rhys dug out the fire pit and found its poles haha!

Q – What is the relevance of your Username?
A - email address :P microsoft suggested!

Q - Finally If money was no object what would be the first thing you added to the site.?
A -This!! (although ill have shorter hair)

but atop an APC, that would be Awesome

Many thanks

Sherm

Knock it off with them negative waves Moriority! Its a mother beautiful bridge.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:28 am
Official Club Member

Post Re: On The Spot Interview with GreyDrake AKA John Drake
Great interview John,!!

Old pics dude.!! LOL....

Also

MOA Disclaimer......

All drinking done in a responsible manner (mostly) ... MOA Accepts no liability for stupid injuries sustained during 11am - 2am and /or fire related.... LOL :) :)

"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction. "

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:14 am
Site Admin

Post Re: On The Spot Interview with GreyDrake AKA John Drake
Yeah kinda puts my interview to shame....

Might get a blog section set up for fortnightly blogs....may be good :)

Knock it off with them negative waves Moriority! Its a mother beautiful bridge.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]